Monday, July 15, 2013

Red Bull Soap Box Race

The moment before impact!

I spent a very enjoyable day at the Red Bull Soap Box Race.  I used my Olympus E-PM2 with the 40-150mm IIR lens shooting the soap boxes coming down the 400m long course.   Mirrorless cameras are not known for their continuous tracking ability but I decided to use this event to try out C-FA+TR focus mode.  Here is a sequence of a crash in focus.











I stationed myself at the finish ramp at the bottom for most of the day and I was pleasantly surprised at the number of images in focus.  The soap boxes were traveling at about 30mph (50kph) by the time they hit the ramp at the finish.  As long as I got the first image in focus, it was able to track focus most of the time.

There were a number of crashes and some people needed to visit the hospital for broken hand, missing tooth and broken nose.  The race organiser had to alter the course to slow the soap box down with a chicane and then reduce the angle of the ramp at the end.

It was a great day out and would definitely go to a future event.  Here are some of the great images captured during the day.













All images taken with Olympus E-PM2 and 40-150mm IIR lens. © Yat Tang


My Website.
My Flickr Page.
My Facebook Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment